|

We welcome diversity and sing our differences
in harmony, without fear. |
|
|
Stone Church History
Milestones
1944
- April - National Missions Committee of San Jose Presbytery recommends opening of work in Willow Glen.
- Apr 18 - First Church and Westminster approve location of Lincoln Ave and Clark Way.
- July 26 - Trustees of Presbytery purchase three lots at cost of $3125.
1945
- Oct 16 - Rev. Thomas H. Simpson, industrial chaplain in San Francisco, appointed to the field.
1946
- March 22 - First prayer meeting at home of Mrs. Esther Brown
- April 7 - First business meeting held in Masonic Hall.
- April 14 - First worship hour held at the Episcopal Mission.
- April 21 - First Easter Service held in Willow Glen Theater.
- June 9 - Ground broken for the first unit, a chapel which was to cost $22,000
1947
- March 2 - Stone Church of Willow Glen organized with 75 members.
- May 25 - Chapel dedicated.
- November 3 - Rev. T. H. Simpson installed as first pastor.
1949 -1950
- Second unit, consisting of Church School rooms and a social hall, built.
1955
- July 10 - Cornerstone for Sanctuary laid.
- Nov 20 - Sanctuary dedicated.
1957
- January - Rev. Robert Stuart Vogt called as Assistant Pastor.
1958
- Fall - Thomas Simpson retired due to health problems. (Rev. Simpson died October 12, 1960.)
- Nov - Robert Stuart Vogt resigned.
1959
- April - Dr. William M. Perdue installed as Pastor.
1962
- January - Rev. Edward E. Frost installed as Associate Pastor.
1965
- Oct 1 - Rev. Sherwood Cummins began call as Minister of Christian Education.
- Nov 30 - Ed Frost resigned, accepted call of First Church, Watsonville.
1966
- August 21 - Rev. David Beamer began call as Associate Pastor.
- June - Sherwood Cummins called as Associate Pastor.
1968
- Nov - Dr. Perdue resigned.
1969
- June 1 - Cummins and Beamer installed as Co-Pastors.
1974
- Sherwood Cummins resigned, David Beamer Pastor.
1975
- December - Robert Bowles installed as Associate Pastor.
1978
- October - The ecumenical South Bay Walk for the Hungry (aka the "Crop Walk") has its first annual walkathon
1979
-
October - Stone Church participates in the CROP Walk for the first time.
1980
- November - David Beamer resigned.
1981
- December - Robert Bowles installed as Pastor.
1982
- August - Gene and Joan Huff called as Assistant Pastors.
1984
- March - Gene and Joan Huff installed as Associate Pastors.
1985
- November - Resignation of Gene and Joan Huff.
1986
- January 19 - Dedication of Schoenstein pipe organ.
- March - Betha Hoy assigned by Presbytery as Interim Associate Pastor.
- October - Stone Church raises over $7,000 for CROP Walk, to become local event's largest contributer.
1987
- February - John and Paula Kelso installed as Associate Pastors.
- October - Stone Church raises over $7,000 for CROP Walk, to become local event's largest contributer.
1994
- July - Robert Bowles resigns; John and Paula Kelso named Interim Pastors.
1996
- January - Art Mills called to be Pastor.
- February - Leroy Kromm is named as Director of Music.
1997
- October - Rebecca Kuiken called as Associate Pastor.
- October - Dr. William Perdue, second Pastor of Stone Church, dies.
1998
- November - First Taizé Service held at Stone Church.
2002
- April - former pastor David Beamer visits and is given title of Pastor Emeritus.
2003
- June- Leroy Kromm resigns as Director of Music.
- June thru August - Art Mills on sabbatical.
- July- Capital Campaign to raise funds for Renovation formally begins.
- September - Lucik Aprahamian hired as Director of Music.
- October- Gene Huff, former Associate Pastor of Stone Church, dies.
2004
- May - Groundbreaking Ceremony marks official start of remodeling.
- May - An All-Church mission project is held to benefit InnVision.
2005
- January - Art Mills resigns to take staff position with The Board of Pensions PCUSA.
- March - Marge Palmer named stated supply pastor and head of staff.
- March - Major renovation of facility completed.
- March thru May - Rebecca Kuiken on sabbatical.
- October - Karen (Hagan) Webster becomes first Stone Church member to complete Seminary study and be ordained to the Presbyterian Ministry.
2006
- September - Nancy Kromm hired as Choir Director.
2007
- June - The Rev. Dr. Kenneth Henry installed as Pastor.
2011
- August - After forty-plus years of service as organist, Joyce Rhodes retires.
Top of Page
Footer Last Revised: July 20, 2017
|
|
|